Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Stingrays are not for petting.

You know how a fox will chew off its foot to get away from a trap? I would have chewed off my foot just to get away from my foot. That's how much it hurts to get stung by a stingray. Naturally when it happened we were at a beach you can only get to by boat. Then my dear hubby ran the boat aground trying to take a shortcut back to the dock. The motor stalled and needed something or other replaced (we had one, whew). And finally, we found out that all I needed to do was dunk my foot in hot water. Instantly better. I had to keep it in hot water for most of the day. A week later, however, it became infected and took a month to heal. And my daughter wonders why I don't pet the stingrays at Lowry Park Zoo. This happened ten years ago when I first moved to this wild and dangerous state. Why am I thinking about it today? I went for a stroll on Bayshore Blvd. and stopped to look into the water and staring back at me was a fairly large stingray. It's like that crocodile that follows Captain Hook around. The scar on the inside of my ankle will throb all day now. I miss Oregon.

2 comments:

yoo hoo said...

You're from Oregon? What part? Cool, except when I was in PDX yesterday in my alternate office, it still hadn't stopped raining. Well it actually hasn't stopped raining or being wet since about Dec 18th. I guess in the long run though I'd rather have this than hurricanes and humidity. I lived in Ohio for about 18 months and the weather was always miserable. I do enjoy your blog.

Wendy Boucher said...

Stand up if you're from the Northwest! My family moved to Southern Oregon when I was one
and my folks still live there. I moved after grad school (Portland State) and haven't made it back. Yet.